A guide to the Parking Violations Bureau (PVB)

What to look for on your summons

There are certain required elements on a parking violation summons that the issuing officer must establish. Basically this is a proper identification of the vehicle, and of the violation. If you notice an omission, improper placement, or a wrong description of the vehicle, it must be dismissed as technically defective. If a summons has been served and all information is correct you have 30 days to enter a plea. This serves as your first notice.

Q: All the information on the summons is correct. What do I do?

A: How to plead:

1. Plead guilty (admitting liability to the charges)
2. Plead not guilty (request a hearing, either by mail or in person)

After a period of 40 days the P.V.B. is required to send a second notice. Upon receiving your second notice a penalty of $10 will have been already imposed. You have 20 days to respond from the date of the second notice.


You may request an appeal of a Judge’s guilty decision by filing a notice of appeal. You must request the appeal within 30 days after the hearing date. You must pay the amount imposed at the hearing prior to the appeal. You must be the registered owner of the vehicle or an authorized representative (with notarized letter of authorization) to file for an appeal.

Appeals are available by mail or in person. Appeals in person are heard by appointment between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Parking Violations will schedule an appointment when you submit a complete Notice of Appeal and check off the “I wish to appear in person.” You will be notified in writing of the time and date. If you cannot make the appointment you must notify Parking Violations in writing at least 3 days before the hearing date.

The following items are required for a notice of appeal to be processed: 1) A copy of the hearing determination (if available); 2) The completed Notice of Appeal; 3) A copy of the Motion to Vacate Judgement (if applicable); 4) Payment of judgement imposed at original hearing; and 5) Notarized letter of authorization.

Failing to Respond

Penalties: are assessed if you fail to enter a plea within a given time frame or fail to make a payment after a hearing judgement has been made against you.

1. A penalty of $10 will be assessed if you fail to enter a plea within 30 days of issuance of summons.
2. A penalty of $20 will be assessed if you enter a plea after 45 days, but less than 76 days after the date of issuance.
3. A penalty of $30 will be assessed for pleas made 75 days or more after issuance of summons.

Default Judgements: Failure to enter a plea, to appear at a hearing, or to comply with a determination is deemed an admission of liability. The court will enter a judgement against you.

An entry of default judgement against you can result in the following:

1. Assignment of your account to a collections attorney or agency;
2. The booting, towing and subsequent sale of your motor vehicle;
3. Seizure of other non-exempt personal property;
4. Restraining of your bank account;
5. Garnishment of your non-exempt wages;
6. Prevention of the renewal of your vehicle registration (if you have unsatisfied judgements on three or more summonses within an 18- month period)
7. Placement of a lien against your real property

Send your notice of appeals to:

NYC Parking Violations Bureau, P.O. Box 2127, Peck Slip Station, New York, NY 10272

Q: I think my car has been towed. What do I do?

A: The P.V.B. sends notices informing you of the fines that you owe. Your final notice before being towed will state that you have not satisfied the judgement and your car is eligible for tow.

Requirements for being towed are; exceeding a minimum of $231 (including penalties assessed after initial summons) and or 90 days after default judgement. It is very possible to exceed the $231 minimum on just two summonses.

To find out if indeed your car has been towed you should first call your local precinct. Sheriffs and Marshals must report all vehicles towed to the precinct within two hours after tow. The precinct will inform you if the Sheriff or a Marshal has towed your car. You must then contact the appropriate redemption center. The Marshal requires that all payments be made to his office despite the location of where the car is being kept. You may redeem your car and make payments directly at the Redemption center if the Sheriff has towed your car. Payments are only accepted in cash, certified check, or money order. The Sheriffs office, however, will allow you to pay with a credit card, only if you are the registered owner.

~ Sheriffs Redemption Centers ~

New York and Brooklyn
50 Lafayette St. New York, NY 10013
(212) 442-0656 /0657 /0658 /0659

332 E. 149th St., 2nd Fl. Bronx, NY 10451
(718) 585-1551

42-71 65th Place, Woodside, NY 11377
(718) 803-3091 /3092

Staten Island
350 St. Marks Place, Room 400B
Staten Island, NY 10301 – (718) 876-5301

~ Average Cost of Car Redemption ~
Tow Expense
Execution Fee
Storage Expense
Poundage Fee
$10.00 / Day
5% of Amount Due

Q: Who Do I Call?

A: New York City Parking Violations Bureau

770 Broadway, 15th Floor New York, NY 10003 – (212) 460-7700

Borough Help Centers – 9:00am -4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday

210 Joralemon Street
9th floor
1400 Williamsbridge Road
1st floor
1 Centre Street
Main floor
89-61 162nd Street
1st floor
Staten Island
350 St. Marks Place
3rd floor

To respond by mail:

NYC Parking Violations Bureau P.O. Box 2070, Peck Slip Station New York, NY 10272-2070

Appeals Board Address:

NYC Parking Violation Bureau P.O. Box 2030, Peck Slip Station New York, NY 10272-2030

PVB Helpline:

Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (212)477-4430
Live operators available Monday-Friday, 9:00 A.M. – 6:00 P.M. to answer all other questions.

Did you Know?

1. That you can file a formal complaint against the PVB if you continue to receive notices for tickets that have previously been satisfied. If you have paid fines, and penalties for summonses, your violations were dismissed, or a summons was issued after your car was reported stolen, and you are still receiving notices for; payment, you can submit a complaint form (available at any PVB Help Center) to: PVB Improper Dunning Complaint Unit, 770 Broadway, 15th Floor New York, NY 10003. The PVB will send you a letter of acknowledgement within 10 days after receipt. Keep all records of proof. The PVB will make a determination within 30 days

2. That the Sheriff can seize any car registered to you as satisfaction for a default judgement.

3. That if your car is sold at auction the amount paid for your car is charged against your judgement, if the total amount does not meet the judgement against you the sheriff may then seize another car registered under your name.

4. That you may still owe parking tickets even after redeeming your car. If your car was towed, it was the result of an unsatisfied judgement, but there may be other tickets about to enter into judgement (less than 30 days old) that are still outstanding. To prevent your car from possibly being towed again you should visit one of the PVB help centers and obtain copies of all your parking violations whether in judgement or not.

Different judges may interpret individual laws contained within the Administrative Law Judges handbook differently.